Chuck's BBQ Sauce

I downloaded the Food Network App a little while ago in the hopes that it would eventually bear fruit. The app itself is pretty awesome because you can search recipes according to the host of your favorite programs - and they post just about everything (just not in any particular order.) Although there's Matt Dunigan's show the Road Grill out of Toronto - I've gotten more inspiration from Chuck Hughes and Laura Calder then anyone else, due to their simple/straightforward style. Using the app, I found a nice little recipe for Chuck's BBQ sauce, and because I'd never tried making my own sauce from scratch- decided to give it a shot.

Chuck's BBQ Sauce - (Easily found on the Internet!)

2-3 chopped onions
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup espresso
1/2 chipotle pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
165ml Cola
1 Tbsp ground mustard seed (dry mustard works too)
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 dashes of Worchester sauce
500mil Ketchup
S + P

Caramelize the onions in the oil for at least 20 minutes, they should be nice and brown and all the flavour will go into the oil. If you like your sauce spicy - add the pepper/flakes to the oil early on so the spice will seep into the oil for maximum effect. Add the remaining ingredients, mix in the pan and let simmer for another 20-30 minutes on low heat. Blend if you don't like it chunky!

During the week I went down to Huntingdon to spend some time on the "lake" with some colleagues - and I brought the sauce and some drumsticks. I was super torn between grilling them using direct, but really low heat to create a nice glaze on the drumsticks - or letting them sit and cooking them indirect style. Who knows? But they were super tasty!


Labels: ,